So you got married and become a man of vows. All those promises you made to your wife really mean something now, so it’s time to start walking the walk. Fortunately, being a good husband isn’t impossible. It’s about following your heart, your conscience, and acting on your love for your wife. These simple steps, if taken seriously, can help lead you and your better half to a brighter future.
1) Be Pleasant: Nobody likes an arrogant man. Be pleasant to everyone around you including your wife, friends and family. Be warm, kind, positive, understanding and friendly. It is often heard said that ‘What we give is what we get back.’ Try to arrive home as cheerful and lighthearted as you can even if you had a bad day at office or you are physically exhausted after driving through the unavoidable traffic. Just because your wife does not go out to work does not mean that her work is less strenuous. She might have been struggling with the children and the house chores all day.
2) Respect the Vows: Faithfulness or Loyalty is one of the prime qualities a wife wants in her man. Have a sense of honor and duty. Remember that when you got married, you took the sacred vows. The honorable thing is to fulfill the marital duty to your wife that you took upon yourself the day you got married. It is the duty of a man to provide for his family. Never expect your wife to contribute to the smooth operation of the household. Even in this day and age of women in the workplace, most prefer to have that as an option rather than a necessary part of their lives. Motherhood and caring for a husband and home usually takes priority in her life. Never assume that the money you earn is yours spend as you like. You have a family to think about now and their needs must always come before yours.
3) Reliable, Responsible and Supportive: Every Woman wants her partner to be reliable and be there for her when she needs him. Support your wife in all stages of life. Provide reassurance when she is feeling down. Do not belittle her or hurt her ego. If she is a working woman, understand her work pressures and problems. Be proud of her on her accomplishments and do not forget to compliment her. Be available for her when she needs a shoulder to cry or when she needs support from you. Let her know that you care for her. When you are not together , call her on the phone to know how she is fearing.. even if you talk to her for only a minute or two. When you come back after work or on weekend, do things with her or help her in whatever way possible. She would appreciate all your little kind gestures even if you can’t get all done. Be a friend to her. When you don’t agree with her views, respectfully let know that you don’t agree with reasons.
4) Adaptability and Sensitivity : As years pass on you’ll see that glowing woman you fell in love with years ago does not look the same or behave in the same manner. She may be tied up with the pressures at home like needs of children, financial obligations etc. Allow her time to relax by taking some work off her shoulders on or take some time off so that you can spend some time together relaxing. Be sensitive to the needs of your wife. Do not let your feelings towards life’s changes affect feelings for your wife. An Ideal Man needs to be sensitive to the requirements of the partner, treat her as an equal, and understand when she needs to stay late at work.
5) Show Respect: If you expect respect from others you need to treat others with respect too. Respect can be reflected in the way one talks and behaves. Always speak in a loving manner and refrain from speaking harshly. A good husband never chooses to belittle, strike, humiliate or otherwise harm his wife in privately or publicly. It is better to watch what you say and to think your thoughts through before speaking as it is not possible to take back the words once they have been spoken. Treat her with respect in front of others and at home. Do not look at other ladies in front of her. Take into consideration her opinion when making important decisions for the family. If you are bringing your buddies home let her know in advance.
6) Judgment and Emotional Baggage: Many of us have emotional baggage. But do not bring that emotional baggage into the marriage. Many men praise their previous girlfriends or mother in front of their wives. Avoid judging every action or opinion your wife has and understand that she is different from you. Her experiences and likings may be different from you too. Comparing her or making her feel that she does not measure up would ruin your marriage.
7) Communication: Communication is the key to a good and solid marriage. Women also expect honesty in men. Honesty is what builds trust in your relationship with your woman. She may even forgive your mistakes but only if you are honest with her and promise not to do it again. Women like their men to be open to them at all times and not keep them in the dark about what is going on in their lives. Find time to sit and talk with your wife on a daily basis, make dinner time a great avenue to communicate with your wife & kids. If you let things bottle up and feel that you cannot share with your wife then your marriage is in trouble. Be a good listener when she talks. Your wife wants someone to listen to her and empathize with what’s going on in her life. Listen avidly to your wife’s complaints. Woman cannot resist a man who understands her moods, attitude, feelings, values, likes and dislikes. This would encourage her to open up to you and don’t keep secrets. Good Communication helps in building trust and strengthens your relationship. Make your woman laugh often. Women love men who are witty and have a sense of humor.Fights or problems may happen in between the two but do not let the world know about it rather solve it between yourselves. The fight you had last week over shopping or whatever is over and done with. So move on with it and stop rehearsing old stuff and reminding her of her faults. Do not resort to name calling, hitting, swearing, breaking dishes or anything else when you lose your temper.
8). Love and Affection: Show your love and affection to her as often as possible. Every woman is a sucker of affection. If you only give them that stuff to get to bed, your wife is going to notice and think it is insincere. A good husband will appreciate his wife and will notice her, even after twenty or fifty years of marriage. She needs you to notice when she gets that new haircut or dresses up in something sexy for you. If you fail to notice what she is doing for you too many times, she may just count it as fruitless and quit. Give your Partner something she loves when she least expects it. Surprise her by planning a trip, preparing a nice dinner, giving a bunch of her favorite flowers or taking her out for shopping. Every Woman likes to be pampered. Women, one way or the other, are nothing but over grown babies who constantly need care. Every woman likes differ, give your wife things what she likes instead of forcing your likes on her…..show her that you care and would always be there for her. Never forget the special days in her life. Make an effort to initiate spontaneous affection with your wife. Build the companionship by doing things together whether it is a common interest or hobby. Give her a hug or surprise kiss and tell her how much you love her. Hold hands with her when you’re out together. These small gestures show your wife that you’ve thought of her and help you reinforce your commitment to her
9) Offer Protection: A woman needs to feel safe and secured with her man. She needs to feel that when he is with her no one can harm her. You don’t need to be a muscle man but at least when you are with her others should not be making a pass at her. She wants her man to behave like a man and treat her like a lady when she is with you.
10) Give her Space: As a Husband, you need to understand that your wife has a life other than you. She has her Parents, friends and colleagues who are part of her life too. She also may have some hobbies or passions she is involved in. Don’t expect her undivided attention. Don’t stop her if she wants to go out and hang out with her friends sometimes or engage in a hobby or want to spend some time with her parents.
11) Keep her happy in Bed: Sexual intimacy is one of the most essential things in any marriage. Good Sex helps to strengthen your emotional and physical attraction to her. Please your wife in bed and be faithful to her. No woman would tolerate a cheating partner. Good sex plays a vital part when it comes to a satisfying relationship and if you are not skilled in bed that is going to be a major turn off. Never grumble about having to support a child you didn’t want to have. If you were irresponsible enough to get her pregnant, then it is your duty to pay for that child. Do not bring porn into a relationship. Porn will only create unrealistic expectations in your mind about your spouse’s libido, body, and comfort level with weird sex positions.
In summary, if you don’t like how your partner treats you, take a minute to notice how you treat your partner and correct your behavior. If you are an ideal husband, that will help your wife to be an ideal wife. A wife usually responds to the way that she is being treated. If she is treated like she is worthless, she will be worthless to you. But, if you treat her well, she will be a jewel in your crown, a pleasure to you and a forever blessing.